Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wednesday and the Imperial War Museum

So the Amoxicillin has been giving me the runs as well as an upset stomach. Yesterday I took my pill when I woke up and was feeling a little naucious when I left for work, but I was bound and determined to make it to work. About half way through my ride to work, my stomach and the moving tube began to not get along, so I got off at the next station to use the toilets. At the same my boss called to see how I was doing. She asked where I was at (which I thought was curious because I wasn't late) and I told her the name of the tube station I was at. She must have put together that this stop wasn't a stop I normally make a transfer at and insisted that I go back home. When I kept saying that I was fine and I was almost to work and would be in shortly, she said that they wouldn't have room for me to sit on the level with the bathroom and I would have to run down two flights of stairs to get there. I kept saying I was fine and once I was sitting at a desk at work I'd be okay. She said that she didn't want to see me come in to work since they had a lot of client meetings scheduled and she didn't want to risk giving them something and insisted that I go back home. So I finally gave in and went back to Vandon House. I did some work and had e-mailed Sophie to ask her what the next step was. She e-mailed me back saying that she had been informed that the Red Cross simply decided to modify their current walk-in support group because they won't have a budget to start and maintain another one like they had been planning and that I should focus more on general service support groups for my research. This means that my work has been drastically reduced which doesn't make me very happy.
Today I decided go to the Imperial War Museum, which we have to go to for one of our assignments. I ended up going by myself because everyone else waits until the day before things are due and then goes to visit them (most of the people went the day before journals were due to the Museum of London, spent about twenty minutes there standing in the lobby and then decided to call it good and wrote about how much they hated the Museum. I for one, would like to get more out of my experience here then drinking and would prefer to spend time at museum's and explore and learn some new and interesting things). I decided to walk there because I was feeling a little woozy from the pills and decided that the tube might not be a smart choice. It was a nice half hour walk from Vandon House but I enjoyed just walking and people watching and being outside. When you walk up to the Imperial War Museum there's two big cannon things at the enterance. I was stunned at how massive they were. When you walk into the lobby area of the museum you're surrounded by all sorts of gigantic military equipment. They had all sorts of different tanks and missiles as well as huge planes hanging from the ceiling. I think everything was real because they were life size and a few of them had part cut away and a glass window so you could see what the inside of the machinery looked like. It was really cool and I was overwhelmed by the amount of tanks and planes they had to check out. You could also experience what it was like to be in a submarine that existed during WWII. That was pretty neat only I was surrounded by a bunch of screaming elementary students. Then I decided to check out the Ian Flemming/James Bond exhibit which closes on the 28th. It was really cool learning about Ian Flemming and how he came up with some of his story ideas for the James Bond books. The director here in London had suggested the exhibit saying it was a good one and at first I wasn't sure how I would feel about the exhibit but I decided to give it a chance and I'm glad I did. I learned that Flemming had a fascination with golf and gambling (which was prohibited in London in the 50's when he was writing the books) and the majority of his books are based around these two things. I also learned that he had a fascination with how to cheat at both of these and those people that cheated at either of those two things in his books were the villians. I also learned that there were two movies (I don't remember which two) that invented villians that weren't in the book version. Then after I finished checking out that exhibit I decided to explore the Holocaust exhibit which is one of their permanent exhibits. I read almost everything, that was until I got towards the end of the exhibit. I think the most moving thing was the model of Auschwitz with a detailed description of how the gas chambers worked and behind this model was a wall of shoes. I think this was the most striking images and the one that caused me to begin to tear up. I worked my way quickly though the rest of the exhibit since it moved from that into the torture and forced labor of those in concentration camps. Then it went to the liberation but it was still hard to read people's testimonies about what they found when they entered the camps. Before I had entered the Holocaust exhibit I had planned on checking out the crimes against humanity exhibit as well. I guess that goes into more detail about the concentration camps and inhuman treatment of the Jews during World War II. I decided after I finished the Holocaust exhibit that was enough for me for one day. I plan on going back sometime to see that exhibit and they also had an exhibit that showed paintings from artists during WWII. I think it would be interesting to see that an find out what artists thought about what was going on during the time.
Besides that there's not much to say except that I can feel the medicine working even though sometimes I still get the cough that's so bad it's gagging and I do still have a massive cough and last night I had to sleep sitting up my cough was so bad, but I can take death breaths AND I can breath through my nose both of which are major improvements. Hopefully the rest of this goes away in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment