Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I'm sick in London

On Wednesday, our theatre class went to see Twelfth Night. I could have been really good but our seats were crappy. Our view of the stage was not very good and our ability to hear the actors was not very good either. The actors had not been trained to speak upwards to the people in top seating rows, so we had to strain to hear and everything was still muted. If we hadn't read the book for class before we went I would have been so lost. I was disappointed by the actors and the director of this show. On Thursday, one of the girls we stayed with in Wales, Megan, came to visit. She came in on Thursday night so she wasn't able to see a whole lot when she got in. The next day I was feeling better so we went out to a dance club with Megan. It was a lot of fun. On Saturday we took Megan to two of the markets here in London. One of the markets we were able to find a lot of cool stuff for cheap and some of the sellers are even willing to baragin the price down a few pounds more. I bought three gigantic pictures of different sites in London to give as gifts to some people for only 5 pounds total (this is about 8-9 dollars). We then took her to another market which was more high end. Most of the stuff was ritzy and expensive, so we simply looked around at stuff not willing to spend an arm and a leg to buy anything. On our way to and from the market we passed George Orwell's house which was very different from what I was expecting. It didn't look like the inside of the house was open to the public, otherwise I might have gone in to investigate, but the house was really tiny and a pastel pink color. The sign on the house was really tiny, which led me to believe that a lot of people didn't care it was George Orwell's house. On Sunday I was feeling better so I went for a walk around St. James park and people watched. I also brought a book, so I sat and read my book on the park bench for a few hours. Yesterday, I woke up feeling worse than I had before, but I didn't think it would be a wise decision to miss class two weeks in a row, so I made the journey to class. That night our theatre class took a tour of the National Theatre then saw the play Every Good Boy Deserves Favour by Tom Stoppard. Stoppard was influenced by Samuel Beckett (Waiting for Godot for those of you who may know plays but not authors) and other other absurdist playwrites. This made the play very interesting. It was a play about Russian dissidence during the time of the USSR. The play included a full orchestra and some interesting things happened in the show. During one of the songs, guards came out and began kidnapping and beating up members of the band, it was interesting to watch and it took me a few minutes to put together the meaning of it with the story. Overall, I thought that this play was one of the best plays I've seen for class yet. Today I went to work and within a half hour of me showing up Sophie, my boss for those of you might not remember, told me I didn't good and suggested I go to the walk in health centre. Locating the nearest health centre to work, I went in, filled out the paperwork and sat down. I usually bring a book with me to read on the tube ride to work, so I pulled out my book and began to read. Within five minutes of sitting down my name was called and I followed the doctor into one of the "conference rooms"--it's the examination room, but they don't call it that. He asked about my symptoms and then we talked a little bit about politics all well I continued to cough up a storm. Within two minutes of sitting down with the doctor, he told me I had an infection from the symptoms I described and the way my cough sounded. He hadn't used a stethoscope or done any tests at all when he made his diagnosis, and this scares me a little bit, but at this point my cough was to the point where it was so bad, it would gag me and I couldn't breath, so I'm willing to try anything he gives me, so long as it makes me feel better. He prescribed amoxicilin and sent me on my way. Then I went to the nearest walk in pharmacy, handed them my prescription and was almost immediately handed back my pills. I have to take three pills a day, and I have to make sure to take them at the same time every day. The doctor suggested taking it around the times I eat so that I remembered easier. He said I could start today, but should keep in mind that I can only take three a day so if I take one later tonight I won't be able to take one tomorrow morning since it might throw off the medicine. He said I should only take two today and end with one in the am on the seventh day. I walked back to work with my pills and took my first one. Sophie said that I was starting to sound a little better later in day after I had taken the pill so I'm hoping that it continues that way, even though right now, I don't feel much better from earlier. I'm hoping that these pills make me better because if they didn't work, I was suppose to come back in after the seven days are up and we would try something different. He told me the name of these other pills but I forgot the name, all I remember is that it starts with a A and sounds funny. He said those pills were much bigger, but would be a little stronger, if these didn't work. He said that these pills were so big, I'd have to break it into two and then swallow the two parts. I'm praying that the amoxicilin makes me better because I'm not really wild nor enjoy taking huge horse pills. I'll try to keep you guys updated throughout the week as to my health.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keisha, it's Amanda Allen (I can't remember if people know this is my new ID or not). I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so sick! I remember getting sick last spring and it seems so much harder when you're so far from home.
    That said, it does sound like you're having a pretty good experience! 12th night is my favorite Shakespeare...I'm a little jealous! :)
    In the words of my little old french host father, "travaille bien et amusez-vous" - work hard and have fun!

    ReplyDelete